Chilli Oil 辣菽油



I am into Thai cooking lately.  So, here I am, reading 'Simple Thai Cookery' by Ken Hom.  I like this book because the recipes are really simple, and the ingredients called for are just basic ingredients which are easily found in the pantry.  After reading this book, chilli oil is my first attempt.  It turns out...... good!

Ingredients:
  • 150 ml groundnut oil (I use olive oil)
  • 2 tbsp chopped dried chillies (I grind them with Sichuan peppercorn)
  • 1 tbsp Sichuan peppercorns
  • 2 tbsp whole salted black beans

Procedure:
  1. Heat up the wok.
  2. Add oil, followed by all the rest of the ingredients.
  3. Cook over low heat for about 10 min.  Then remove from heat and leave it to cool.
  4. Pour into a jar and leave for 2 days, then strain the oil.
  5. Store in a tightly sealed glass jar in a cool dark place.

I made it yesterday.  Immedietely, I used 1tsp for my Ma Po Toufu 麻婆豆腐.  Wah, what a big heat!!

"I want 麻婆豆腐 again, but without the chilli!" Zhe saids while scratching his sweating head :-)

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment