My Family Herbs - Coriander 芫茜


Coriander(Cilantro)芫茜 is our family all time favourite herbs.  I used to buy it almost weekly at $2 a bunch.  I thought, it is just too expensive.  And, for curiousity sake, I trim away all the upper part, then try to grow the low part (with root attached) of it.  To my surprise, they grow!  However, these store bought coriander are the mature one.  So, they bolt easily. 
For the first time I see coriander flowers.  They are groups of tiny flowers.  Depends on the varieties.  Last time I had white, this time I have pink.
If you let the flower grow to seeds, then you will get, of course, lots of coriander seeds.  Let the seeds dry on the plant.  Keep some seeds for next sowing.  Meanwhile, use the rest of the seeds in your curry.
Coriander is an annual plant.  They do really well during cool seasons, they bolt easily when the weather turns hot, especially summer.  So, remember to sow more coriander during autumn.
I think coriander is very worth growing. 
  • When they are young, enjoy their leaves and stem. 
  • When they flower, enjoy the beauty of the groups of tiny flowers. 
  • When the seeds are dry, harvest them for your curry.
Tips : Buy coriander seeds from oriental shops( Unroasted type - those that is used for curry).  You can use some for sowing, and the rest for cooking.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment